The Delancey Cardigan has a vintage feel with its striking chevron stripe motif and elegant shawl collar. Sections of thin diagonal stripes accentuate the sweater’s unusual zig-zag construction. Slanting stripes, in combination with the long sleek fit, make this a flattering design.
The body is knitted back and forth in one large piece on circular needles then divided to form the armholes. There is a seam at the top of each shoulder. Stitches for the set-in sleeves are picked up around the armhole and knitted from the top down. Stitches for the collar are also picked up along the edge, and short rows form the shawl collar.
*Note, the plus size version has a more generous fit through the arms and a slightly wider front band and collar.
Bust/Hips 33 (36, 39, 42)", Plus size: 45 (48, 51, 54, 58)"
Length from shoulder 27 (27.5, 28, 28.5), Plus size: 28"
Find information on how to adjust the length of this pattern here.
US 8 DPN’S and ≥24 inch circular needles
DK Weight yarn 50g balls (123 yards each) in two colors: main color (MC)- 7 (8, 9, 10) balls, Plus size: (MC)- 11 (12, 13, 14, 15) balls
contrasting Color (CC)- 3 balls; Plus size: 4 (4, 4, 5, 5) balls
7 ¾ inch buttons
Stitch markers, stitch holder, tapestry needle, thread
US 8 needles:
18 sts x 26.5 rows = 4 x 4 inches in stockinette stitch.
16 sts x ~10 rows = 4 x 4 inches in garter stitch.
If you purchased your pattern before September 14, 2010...
Your pattern may contain some of the errors listed here:
1) All Sizes- Stripe pattern should begin on rows 30, 61, 98, 132, 166.
2) Size 33- After row 108, the stitch count should read 162 sts total.
3) Sizes 33 and 36- After row 114 on the front sides, the stitch count should read 30 (36, n/a, n/a) sts total.
4) Size 33- On the front sides, work the section beginning on row 115 to row 122, then move on to the next section on row 123.
5) All Sizes- Right and Left front sections, row 1 repeat beginning on rows 151 (153, 155, 157) should read: SSK, Knit to 2 sts before end, K2tog.
6) All Sizes- Center back section, Row 1 repeat beginning on rows 115 (115, 117, 119) should end with an additional K1.
7) All Sizes- Stripe pattern on sleeves should begin on rounds 1, 35, 69, and 103.
If you purchased your pattern before August 9, 2010:
All sizes- The second row on the first pattern repeat should end with an additional K1.
Q: Do you have any tricks for making the the stripes on the sleeves look better when working in the round?
A: I do have a trick! Here’s a link to my video tutorial and blog post explaining my method for knitting jogless 2-row stripes in the round:
Q: Can I change the length of this cardigan?
A: Yes! I posted an explanation on my blog here.